Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Holding out for a hero

By every standard set by the federal government, I would be considered beyond poor.  Yet I go through most of my days feeling as if I am the wealthiest woman in the world!  Is this a simple case of delusion? Perhaps.  Or maybe it's that I place a high value on the people I am blessed to call friend.

 My parents saw fit to gift me with sisters who are intelligent, wickedly funny, and some of the hardest workers I know.  I treasure them more than they know.  Life has gifted me with a wide variety of people who are intelligent, wickedly funny, and..........some of the hardest workers I know.  What all these people have in common is a good heart.  And this makes me smile and fills my heart with love, admiration, and respect for each and every one of them.

What does this have to do with being Queen of America?  (a)  nothing
                                                                                        (b)  everything
                                                                                        (c)  who cares

Apparently, one must do something called "full-disclosure" if they want to be Leader of the Free World.  This is also known as  watch your life get dragged through the mud.  I propose we reprise the old show, "This Is Your Life".  Would ex-spouses walk across a stage made to look like a living room, sit cozily on the settee next to said ex, and then proceed to talk about invitations to engage in extra-marital activities?  Would we hear a disembodied voice talk about how they helped set up multiple off-shore accounts and watch the candidate smile as he guessed which foreign banker  the voice belonged to?  Could we get American Idol and America's Got Talent to team up and hold auditions across the country in a search for people to be placed in office?  Then once the contestants are whisked off to Washington, DC, the fun will really begin.  Because they will be tasked like those in The Amazing Race.  "Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to cut 5 trillion from the budget and repeal Obamacare.  Your 48 hours begins..........NOW."  We, the people, will get to enjoy the frantic activity AND....in Chicago-style voting, we'll get to call in our votes:  only 10 calls allowed per phone number. 

I had to get you thinking about something else because I really don't have skeletons in my closet.  Dust bunnies in the corners?  Sure.  Who doesn't.  I haven't made millions; run a company that settled harassment charges; voted for TARP I, II, or III; declared permanent war on everything; or sold YOUR grandchildren's future out for my personal gain now.  Doesn't that make you feel better about putting a scepter in my hand?  But wait.  There's more.

Remember that spinning game I hope is hosted by Ricky Gervais?  How about we put one of those wheels in each house of CONgress?  The wheel could be divided into pie slices labelled:  Put Bill Forward, Exile, Head in a Basket.  That should pretty much bring the  "we need to pass it so we know what's in it" mentality to a screeching halt.  Give Watson credit for THAT stroke of genius.  I had missed it completely.

While writing this out, I'm also listening to the State of the Union address.  Am I the only one who is hearing Charlie Brown's teacher?  When running "our union is getting stronger" through  my internal translator, why does it come out "we are finding more ways to strip citizens of their rights"?  And if you add the word "overseas" to some of the statements, they begin to make more sense.  Have you tried paying your electric bill with hope and change? How'd that go?

It's time to realize there isn't a hero waiting in the wings to save us. WE are the hero.  And Illinois does have term limits:  when you see the word Incumbent next to a candidate's name, check the other box.  Lifetime politician are two words that should NEVER be used to describe anyone in this country. 


Books of interest?    The Wind Farm Scam
                                Freakonomics

No comments:

Post a Comment